Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Helping People Understand Science

     Science is an important part of everyone's life no matter what you are studying or your occupation. It plays a prominent role in our everyday lives. You cannot walk into any building or establishment and not see science at work. Your electricity, microwave, computer, almost everything that you use on an everyday basis includes science. Medicine is a big one, you take all these medications for any of your symptoms that you have but you might not always think about where they come from. Your food can even be science, GMO's occur in most foods nowadays. Some people life GMO's and some don't, but you can't know if you like them or not if you don't know what they are.

     YouTube is a great place to find information and find it in ways that you understand. Usually the information is described in detail, you just need to make sure that they are a credible source ant telling you the right information. Crash Course is a great YouTube channel that "dumbs" and information down to help everyone understand the information being presented. They have science videos as well as other topics. Museums are one of the best places to find accurate information if you have one near. In most cases museums that are state or federally funded are reliable and very good sources. North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh is a very informational place to learn about science.

     My game was "Archie Memory" and it tested your skills to be able to answer the questions while also trying to remember where the cards are. It tests your memory and your knowledge. One of my peers wrote "How are we suppose to know if the answers are right", but I had an answer key with the game, it was folded so you couldn't cheat they probably just didn't look for it. The whole purpose of the game is for the cards to be turned upside down and for you to remember where the questions and answers are by process of elimination. Maybe having more questions could improve the game, I reworded some questions for easier understanding so its better for all audiences. I thought the game worked well, it wasn't too difficult but definitely tested your knowledge of the subject of Archie. The cards could have been cut more evenly but I did the best I could, it's more difficult than it looks to cut absolutely even and straight. If I was to do it again I would print the cards back and front so they look nicer, but I did redo them like that when I resubmitted my project. Overall, I feel that my game was a success, just a few tweaks could be made to make it that much better!




Good Science Information Resources
https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse
http://naturalsciences.org

2 comments:

  1. Great job explaining and providing different details about how science is all around us. Also great job on providing different sources to find reliable information on science such as crash course and museums. Your self evaluation was very detailed and you had a great game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to be careful when writing things like "Everything in a museum is reliable and informational." There are some very unreliable "science" museums out there (like the "Creation Science Museum"). There are also many random museums individuals start, which are not fact checked in any way. Instead, you can say something like "In general, science museums that are state or federally funded like the NC Museum of Natural Sciences or by affiliated with scientific research institutions like the Smithsonian, National Geographic or the National Academy of Sciences, are reliable and informational as they employ career scientists and professional science educators." Good job including the disclaimer about checking sources re YouTube videos.

    ReplyDelete